Pinterest

Monday, November 24, 2014

Don't be broke next Christmas... Layaway!

Today is a Christmas tip that I have used year after year and it has proven to be the most helpful thing I do. What is it you ask?  It is putting things on Lay-a-way.  First have who ever you know you are buying for in December (kids, parents or even yourself) make a Christmas list in June Sounds crazy but here is when you find out if they want a TV, gaming system, iPad, camera or gun. The large items are really what you are looking for on the list. Then in July you head to your local pawn shop (I used Ezpawn) most of you are saying what is that. Wait stay with me and keep reading. Most offer Christmas in July and you can put the stuff on layaway for 6 months. They sale a 6 month guarantee that starts after you pick it up from the store and some times you can save over $100 per item. I have bought both the kids iPads, Thomas a Xbox360, two TV's, 2 laptops and 4 guns and almost 3 years later everything works just fine. You have to make payments once a month and I would check everything when you get it home just to make sure it works and if not you can take it back and exchange it just in case it doesn't.  Christmas morning you become the best Santa ever getting the big items they asked for. My kids wanted no large items this year thank God.
Now in September tell the kids you lost the Christmas list and have them make another one. Here is where you start looking for the smaller items. I know you are saying right now my kids have no idea what they want in September yes they do and trust me they really have no idea What they want in December either. So stay with me and you will thank me next year in December. Wal-Mart offers Layaway the end of September so have a list and know how much out of your paycheck you can spend with out putting yourself in a real pinch. Matt gets paid every two weeks so that gave us 7 paychecks and Spending $40 out of each check wouldn't hit our pocket book that hard. Wal-Mart doesn't make you pay once a month but I suggest you do. We pay on ours every two weeks. This year we didn't get to Wal-Mart in September but we still took $40 out of each check and when I finally got to Wal-Mart I put $120 as my down payment. Now it is November have them make another list and make sure you talk up what you have already put on layaway . The list will be a little different so in November and December you pick up the things they wanted you couldn't put on layaway. For example Thomas wants a North Face jacket we bought that on this paycheck. Landon wanted an adventure game for the xbox360 we bought that with the last paycheck. Yes, there is going to be last minute gifts everyone can't live with out and impulse purchases but you can afford them and more. Think how nice it is when Christmas comes your not freaking out saying your broke or your not running around like crazy looking for gifts that have been picked over or sold out. The holidays will be smoother and you will have a lot more time for Christmas activities with the family. I have three kids and this method has worked year after year. I Hope you try it next year and see if my method works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment